“What’s true for you is not true for me.” Student, 2007.
“I am… the truth.” Jesus, c. 30 AD
Is there such a thing as objective truth? If you asked the average student here in Manchester they would probably say not. Pluralism and postmodernism pervades the modern day students worldview – it is claimed that it is wrong to say someone is wrong and its considered arrogant and even rude to claim that what you believe is the truth.
Jesus claims to be the truth. This claim flies in the face of everything that society says, but in a world where despite the many loud voices shouting that there is no truth, people are increasingly searching for a deeper meaning and purpose to life. Surely he is one person worth listening to.
On another occasion Jesus stated that he came into the world to testify to the truth and that everyone on the side of truth listens to him. Surely he’s a person worth listening to.
What is truth? The University of Manchester Christian Union is hosting a week of events from Monday 11th – Saturday 16th February 2008 and invite you to come along, find out what Jesus had to say and decide for yourself whether his claim to be the truth is truthful. Everyone is welcome, whether Christian, or of other beliefs or none at all. All events are free.
Events are happening on the following days:
- Monday 11th 1-1.45pm @ Jabez Clegg (Dover Street) – short talk on “Where is God in a messed up world?” with free lunch.
- Monday 11th 7-9pm @ Queen of Hearts (Wilmslow Road) – pub quiz with talk on “The truth about God” (TBC)
- Wednesday 13th 7-9pm @ Queen of Hearts (Wilmslow Road)- talk on “The truth about Life” preceded by a quick account by an ex IRA terrorist who became a Christian whilst in prison.
- Thursday 14th 1-1.45pm @ Jabez Clegg (Dover Street)- short talk on “What is True Love?” with free lunch.
- Friday 15th 7-9pm @ Glass (Wilmslow Road) – talk on “The truth about Jesus”
Check out The Truth? Facebook Group
Powered by ScribeFire.